Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Global Subway Charette

I have decided to continue with the idea of a subterranean global subway. I would like to integrate the idea of place not dependent upon location (see Archigram's walking city and the Helicopter Archipelego). Thus, I propose a tunnel network where there is a meeting point at the halfway point between the cities that are a part of the network. This meeting point or rendevous location would be a place where business and diplomatic meetings could take place on a moving train that would open up to the other country's train to allow access and interaction between the trains while moving. Two tunnels with high-speed freight trains would divert from the main tunnel to overpass this intersection. The rest of the main tunnel would house pipelines, airducts, and maintenance shafts. Air shafts would be installed at intervals along the path of the tunnel to provide ventillation.





I am researching the technology currently available to create a network of this size, and I will try to apply this to the design as much as possible, but I suppose some of it must be left up to the imagination.

No comments: